Columns are used in newsletters, newspapers, and magazines because of the large amounts of text to be displayed. Word documents are formatted in single column, however, you are able to change the formatting to display multiple columns. Do the following:
1. Select the text you want formatted in columns, or place your cursor where you want columns to begin.
2. On the [Page Layout] tab, in the [Page Setup] group, click [Columns]. (See Figure 1)
3. Click [More Columns]. (See Figure 2)
4. Click the number of columns that you want.
5. In the [Apply to] list, click [Selected text] or [This point forward].
- To add a vertical line between the columns, select the [Line between] check box.
- You can also adjust the column width and spacing.
- To change the layout again further in the document, select text or click where you want to change the layout, then follow steps 1 - 5.